MHG4298 - Church, Cille Choirill
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Early Medieval to 19th Century - 561 AD to 1900 AD)
J Aitken : 10/12/02
NN38SW 1 307 812.
(NN 307812) Cille-Choril (NAT)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 1st ed., (1872)
Cille Choiril (NR) (Ruins of R.C. Chapel)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1903)
Kil-a-Choireil (church of St. Cyril); a Roman Catholic church and burying - place, the latter containing the graves of the bards Iain Lom and Domhuill Mac Fhuinlaidh, and also the graves of the priests of the glen.
D B MacCulloch 1938; Information from Celtic Monthly, June 1901 and November 1903.
The church and its burial ground are still in use.
Visited by OS (A C) 10 July 1961.
Martin Briscoe has submitted photos of this site to the Highland HER Flickr group. <1>
Martin Briscoe has submitted photographs of this site to the Highland HER Flickr group. <2>
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: MacCulloch, D B. 1938. Romantic Lochaber. Rev. 174-6.
- <1> Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2008-11. Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe. Colour. Yes. Digital. via Flickr.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2008-11. Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe. Colour. Yes. Digital. via Flickr.
|Grid reference||Centred NN 3069 8121 (17m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB6862 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://www.flickr.com/groups/her/pool/tags/MHG4298 (View images of this site in the Highland HER Flickr group)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/23907 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.