MHG43091 - Cnoc an Teampuill
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BURIAL GROUND (Undated)
NH56SE 11 5877 6367.
Cnoc an Teampuill (NR) OS 1:10,000map, (1971)
Cnoc an Teampuill is an old burial ground, but there is no tradition of a church. Name Book 1875.
Cnoc an Teampuill (name verified) consists of an oval stony mound, overgrown with nettles, which is situated in an arable field on a gentle SE facing slope. It measures 21m E-W by 18m N-S and is 1.5m high. Stones cleared from adjoining fields have been piled onto mound, these include a numher of large slab-like stones now lying on surface of mound.
The field is called Churchyard Field, and burial ground tradition still survives, but there is considerable doubt as to its classification. No information regarding a church or chapel can be found, and feature is undoubtedly "mound-like", though this effect is accentuated by ploughing to its base, and addition of unknown quantities of stone clearance. On balance it is more likely to be a burial cairn.
Visited by OS (N K B) 20 December 1976.
Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 1, 113 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3339.
RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region, 26, No. 223 (Text/Report). SHG2670.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 26, No. 223.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 1, 113.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5876 6367 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:5530 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM5530 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12897 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.