MHG4311 - Cairn and Polished Stone Axehead - Onich
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- None recorded
NN06SW 1 c. 02 61.
A polished axe of veined slate (4" x 2 1/4") was found at Onich, Nether Lochaber, c.1750, when a large cairn was being removed. It was situated about the centre of the present crofts, halfway between the present road and the sea. Presented to the NMAS in 1890. (Acc No: AF 393)
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1890.
No further information.
Visited by OS (R L) 6 May 1970.
This axe has been petrologically attributed to group VI (epidotized intermediate tuff of the Borrowdale Volcanic Series from the Great Langdale and Scafell areas of Cumbria).
T H McK Clough and W A Cummins 1988.
Listed in the NMS catalogue under Acc. No. 393. It was acquired in 1890 from Rev. Alexander Stuart. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Clough and Cummins, T H McK and W A. 1988. Lists of identifications. 141-264. 236, no. INV 7.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1890. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library, with exhibits', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 24 1889-1890, p.6-18,141-6,274-81,378-82,410-15,443-50. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 6-18,141-6,274-81,378-82,. 379.
- <1> Dataset/Database File: National Museums of Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums of Scotland. Digital. AF 393.
|Grid reference||Centred NN 0199 6099 (14m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)|
- POLISHED AXEHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/23575 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.