MHG43139 - Li


No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • NAUST (Undated)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Close to the point where the Allt Li emits to the foreshore at Li there are two roofed buildings and that on the SW overlies the remains of a third and earlier building, the stone wall-footings of which are exposed on the SW side. This earlier building measured 11.9m from SW to NE by 5m transversely over walls up to 0.9m in thickness. The rebuilt NE end-wall has rounded external angles and this may reflect their original form. The building (or possibly an upstanding portion of it) is depicted as roofed on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (1st edition of the Ordnance Survey map, Inverness-shire, sheet 77, 1876) and occupying the W corner of a sheepfold of which there are now no visible remains. The lower stone of a rotary quern is incorporated in the threshold of the building to the NE of the first. On the foreshore, there is a well-constructed boat naust comprising two parallel freestanding drystone walls. A pierced stone weight, which was found close by, may have been used as an anchor.
Visited by RCAHMS (IMS) 6 June 1991.
RCAHMS 1991.

Sources/Archives (1)



Grid reference Centred NG 8339 0756 (20m by 20m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NG80NW
Geographical Area SKYE AND LOCHALSH
Civil Parish GLENELG

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.