MHG4321 - Farmstead - Dunlichity
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FARMSTEAD (Undated)
- None recorded
NH63SE 89 6636 3250.
Some 200m to the ESE of Balnaclach township (NH63SE 85), on the W side of the road running S from Dunlichity, there are the robbed remains of three buildings and two enclosure. The buildings range from 12.4m to 23.7m in length and from 4.5m to 5.1m in breadth over faced-rubble walls 0.7m thick and stand up to 0.5m high. Two of them (USN93 318
and 319) feature bedneuks, and USN93 320 has an enclosure attached to its S end. There is a second enclosure, built of turf, in boggy ground about 60m to the SW (USN93 317).
A settlement is depicted here on Morrison's 1849 map of Drumbuie and Dalcrombie (SRO: RHP 2189), and the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1874, sheet xxxi) names the site Tighanlochan and shows four buildings, including USN93 318 and 319 (roofed) and USN93 320 (unroofed). The Name Book describes two small cottars' houses here, 'one storey in height, thatched and in ordinary repair' (ONB 1871).
None of these buildings are depicted on the second edition of the 6-inch map, published in 1905.
Visited by RCAHMS (SDB) 17 March 1993.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6636 3250 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||DAVIOT AND DUNLICHITY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/78552 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.