MHG43242 - Slumbay Island
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- LONGHOUSE (Undated)
- None recorded
'N-S across E end of promontory are traces of heavy built walls surmounting terrace slopes. On N side of old look-out station D-shaped outline 11 x 16m. The W side of the promontory is a sheer cliff. On lower ground two longhouses: one on shore NE side 4-roomed 19 x 5m, the other on isthmus 2-roomed 9 x 6m.' <1>
Photographs of these possible longhouses were submitted to the HER by Paul Swan in April 2010. Two probable houses are depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map c.1875. The 4-roomed structure is not depicted on the historic OS mapping. <2>
- <1> SHG1509 Text/Publication/Article: Welsh, T C. 1974. 'Slumbay, walling etc.', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1974, p.60. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 60. 60.
- <2> SHG23809 Image/Photograph(s): Swan, P. 2008-11. Photographs of various HER sites submitted by Paul Swan. Colour. Yes. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8959 3860 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/76489 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.