MHG43303 - Badanluig Township
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- GRAIN MILL (Undated)
- None recorded
Thumbnail Photo of township remains
Wester Ross Project - Cathy Dagg, 03/04
Alternative names: Third Coast (Ann Mackenzie, 2nd Coast, pers. comm), Bad an t’Sluig: grove of the miry puddle
As recorded on maps. A number of structures, some with attached enclosures, some attached to sections of dyke, ranged along the south boundary of the area of former cultivated land . Some of the structure survive as 2-3 courses of rubble walling, others are reduced to grass or moss covered footings. The settlement is now enclosed within what appears to be a woodland regeneration scheme, with at present light tree cover.
Placename not recorded on any early maps or in Watson’s ‘Placenames of Ross and Cromarty’ The east side of the Allt Bad an Luig forms part of Little Gruinard and the township was cleared for sheepfarming by Meyrick Bankes after 1835.
Wester Ross Project - Cathy Dagg, 23/3/04
NG99SW 2 935 905.
(Area centred: NG 935 905) 'Badanluig' is the name applied to old habitations situated about half a mile NW of "Little Gruinard Inn".
Name Book 1875, ref no. 35, 97
On the heather covered northerly slopes between "Allt Bad an Luig and Leac Innis nan Gobhar, there are the extant remains of a corn drying kiln and 14 buildings, varying in size from 23.5 m. long by 5 m wide by 2.2 m high with internal divisions, to medium size 12m long by 3m. wide by 1m. high, to the smallest, 6m long by 4m. wide by 0.7 high. Several of the larger buildings have a byre at one end with a central channel or ducts in this compartment. The field banks, associated with these buildings, are composed of single large stones generally. Only a small plot of land centred at NG 933 905 appears to have been cultivated. The name of this settlement is still known as "Badanluig".
Visited by OS (N K B) 16 March 1965; Visible on OS air photographs OS/59/56 026-029.
One roofed building, which is annotated as a Corn Mill (NG99SW 2.01), eleven unroofed buildings, an enclosure and a length of field wall are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire and Cromartyshire 1881, sheet xx). Thirteen unroofed buildings, two enclosures and some field walls are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10560 map (1969).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 13 February 1996
Add to bibliography:
Loch Ewe Heritage Group 2007. The abandoned settlement at Badanluig.<1>
|Grid reference||Centred NG 9349 9050 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12067 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.