MHG43542 - Eagle Stone - Strathpeffer

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • INSCRIBED STONE (Early Medieval - 561 AD to 1057 AD)

Protected Status

Full Description

The Eagle Stone in Strathpeffer.

NMRS Notes:
NH45NE 6 4849 5852.
(NH 4848 5851) Clach an Tiompain (NAT) OS 6"map, Ross-shire, 1st ed., (1875)

This symbol stone, which is called locally 'Clachan Tiumpan' is a slab of contorted blue gneiss, roughly rectangular, but with right hand top corner broken away, 2 ft 8 ins high x 2 ft wide and 10 ins thick, sculptured with incised lines on one face with horseshoe symbol, and under it the bird symbol.
J R Allen 1903

This stone stands on a small tumulus. Name Book 1875

Clach an Tiompain (NAT) Symbol Stone (NR) OS 25"map, (1967)

Clach an Tiompain, a symbol stone as described.
Surveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 30 July 1981

No change. Visited by RCAMS (JRS) March 1989.

Class I symbol stone bearing on SE face a horseshoe above an eagle.
A.Mack 1997 p.120

Notes and photo sent in by M & M McGuire September 2003 for Highland Archaeology Challenge. See Assoc.Docs
JW 27.10.03

The stone stands on a small mound that appears (from erosion patches) to made up of smallish stones. It has been fenced close to the stone and mound reinforcing the impression that the mound is circular, but it is probable that this is deceptive and the raised area extends downhill to the E. The mound and stone lie on rising ground (to W) but with spectacular views to the E down the Strathpeffer Valley. The carved designs are on this eastern side. HAW 02/2005

A photograph of the stone, with the inscription well highlighted in winter sunshine, was submitted to the HER by John Wombell in January 2011. <1>

Strathpeffer, Ross and Cromarty, Pictish symbol stone
Measurements: H 0.81m above ground, W 0.61m, D 0.25m
Stone type: blue gneiss
Place of discovery: NH 4845 5852
Present location: in situ in field.
Evidence for discovery: first recorded in the mid nineteenth century. It stands on the edge of a terrace with a cairn of stones around it, but these may result from field clearance in the past. It was set in a concrete base in the twentieth century.
Present condition: good except for damage at the top right-hand corner, caused probably by its use as a sounding stone.
Description:
Two large symbols have been heavily incised on one face of this stone: an ornamented arch symbol above an eagle walking to the right.
Date: seventh century.
References: Stuart 1856, pl 108; ECMS pt 3, 61-2; Fraser 2008, no 129.
Early Medieval Carved Stones Project, A Ritchie 2017.

Sources/Archives (14)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 4848 5851 (6m by 6m)
Map sheet NH45NE
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish FODDERTY

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (2)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.