MHG6294 - Mound - Eagle Stone, Strathpeffer
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- MOUND (Early Medieval - 561 AD to 1057 AD)
NH45NE 6 4849 5852.
(NH 4848 5851) Clach an Tiompain (NAT) OS 6"map, Ross-shire, 1st ed., (1875)
This symbol stone, which is called locally 'Clachan Tiumpan' is a slab of contorted blue gneiss, roughly rectangular, but with right hand top corner broken away, 2 ft 8 ins high x 2 ft wide and 10 ins thick, sculptured with incised lines on one face with horseshoe symbol, and under it the bird symbol.
J R Allen 1903
This stone stands on a small tumulus. Name Book 1875
Clach an Tiompain (NAT) Symbol Stone (NR) OS 25"map, (1967)
Clach an Tiompain, a symbol stone as described.
Surveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 30 July 1981
No change. Visited by RCAMS (JRS) March 1989.
Class I symbol stone bearing on SE face a horseshoe above an eagle.
A.Mack 1997 p.120
Notes and photo sent in by M & M McGuire September 2003 for Highland Archaeology Challenge. See Assoc.Docs
The stone stands on a small mound that appears (from erosion patches) to made up of smallish stones. It has been fenced close to the stone and mound reinforcing the impression that the mound is circular, but it is probable that this is deceptive and the raised area extends downhill to the E. The mound and stone lie on rising ground (to W) but with spectacular views to the E down the Strathpeffer Valley. The carved designs are on this eastern side. HAW 02/2005
- --- SHG13446 Image/Photograph(s): Eagle Stone.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- SHG1883 Text/Publication/Volume: Allen and Anderson, J R and J. 1903. The early Christian monuments of Scotland: a classified illustrated descriptive list of the monuments with an analysis of their symbolism and ornamentation. pt.3, 59-61; illust..
- --- SHG2053 Text/Publication/Volume: Close-Brooks, J. 1986. Exploring Scotland's Heritage: The Highlands. 129, No. 64.
- --- SHG2357 Text/Publication/Volume: Jackson, A. 1984. The symbol stones of Scotland: a social anthropological resolution to the problem of the Picts.
- --- SHG2456 Text/Publication/Volume: Mack, A. 1997. Field guide to the Pictish symbol stones. 120.
- --- SHG2472 Text/Publication/Volume: MacKie, E W. 1975. Scotland: an archaeological guide: from the earliest times to the twelfth century. 212.
- --- SHG350 Text/Publication/Monograph: Stuart, J. 1856. Sculptured stones of Scotland. 1. 33; pl. 108.
- --- SHG3825 Image/Photograph(s): B/W Negative. .
- --- SHG8031 Image/Photograph(s): Eagle Stone. Digital Image. .
- --- SHG8032 Image/Photograph(s): Digital Image. .
- --- SHG8122 Image/Photograph(s): Digital Image. .
|Grid reference||Centred NH 4848 5851 (14m by 14m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1676 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12458 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.