MHG43676 - Stonechrubie
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- KILN (Undated)
- (Former Type) SETTLEMENT (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Correspondance from a visitor indicated this as a possible settlement site. Visit and consideration of photographs by Bob Gourlay confirmed that this was the site of a kiln, with associated remains. <1>
A roughly circular/trapezoidal, drystone constructed kiln in poor condition, heavily turfed over but easily visible. It measures 5m x 4m x 1m, aligned E-W with walls up to 2m thick. A flue/opening is present on the south-west corner and a chamber of c.1.8m diameter is clearly visible. The walls are 0.5m thick at the chamber, 1.15m at the outside and 1.5m long. A drystone bank running E-W for 130m was also observed. It was c.0.8m wide (max.) x 0.5m high (max.) and runs from the base of the cliffs to the road. The bank is heavily turfed over and in poor condition. There were no other traces of a deserted settlement. <2>
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Cavers, G & Hudson, G. 05/2010. Assynt's Hidden Lives: An archaeological survey of the parish. AOC Archaeology Group and Historic Assynt. 01/08/2010. Digital. 47, p.84.
- <1> Text/Correspondence: Gourlay, R. 1990. Correspondence between Highland Regional Archaeologist and Mr C Scouller. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 2489 1980 (20m by 20m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.