MHG43804 - Pier, Phillip's Harbour, Harrow
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- PIER (Built, 19th Century - 1801 AD? to 1872 AD (between))
- PIER (Rebuilt, 20th Century - 1978 AD to 1979 AD (between))
- None recorded
ND27SE 15.01 2815 7415
Phillips's Harbour shows pier running to NE with kink to SE at end on N side of inlet (Wester Haven) Crane at W end, windlass at N. Mooring points on N side. Mooring post on W edge of bay 1st ed OS <1>.
Rubble built pier with concrete skin; concrete block parapet on north and east side. Phillip's Harbour was rebuilt in 1978/9 as a job creation scheme. The harbour was re-opened on 30 April 1979, curiously by Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin. A plaque documenting this event is erected on the pier wall. It was presumably during the rebuild that boat murals were incised into the concrete blocks of the pier wall <2>.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 2817 7427 (105m by 37m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/98282 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.