MHG43846 - Shieling hut - Dubh Chlais, near Loch Chorcasairigh
A shieling hut at Dubh Chlais, near Loch Chorcasairigh.
Type and Period (1)
- SHIELING HUT (Undated)
- None recorded
A shieling hut near Loch Chorcasairigh.
Loch Chorcasairigh. Hut Circle: NG 80044 7859. A hut circle is situated at an elevation of 95m on the top of a small knoll 120m from the shore at the northern end of Loch Chorcasairigh (wrongly named Loch Coire na- h-Airigh on the OSM). Two small pens have been built inside the hut circle and 10m down the slope to the southeast of the entrance are the remains of the stone wall of a structure like a shieling bothy. <1> [See MHG7491 for the hut circle.]
180418 878578 Dubh Chlais 1 JW001: The hut circle was visited by J Wilson and J Buchanan in 2009 as part of research for a dissertation on hut circles in Wester Ross for A Welti. The surrounding landscape is covered with a mixture of heather and grass with some bracken. Field walls, shieings and an enclosure are visible in the landscape. There is a shieling hut to the south of the southeast facing entrance, and two structures, possibly pens, are set in the interior of the HC, (see sketch). <2> <3>
GIS spatial data amended in 2018 using 2009 APs. <4>
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Wentworth, R. 1989. 'Survey', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1989, p.33-4. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 33-4.
- <2> Text/Manuscript: Welti, A.. 2012. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye. University of Aberdeen. Yes. Digital. JW001.
- <3> Dataset/Database File: Welti, A.. 2009-2016. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye: project database. Lochbroom Field Club. Yes. Digital. JW001.
- <4> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8042 7858 (6m by 6m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/76496 (Click to view online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.