MHG43854 - Field boundary dykes - Glac Shieldaig
Field boundary dykes at Glac Shieldaig.
Type and Period (1)
- BOUNDARY DYKE (Unknown date)
- None recorded
Field boundary dykes at Glac Shieldaig, associated with a hut circle (see MHG8296).
Some 30m to the north of the circle a setting of stones lying side by side runs from the bottom of a small crag for about 20m down the slope; some 40m to the south of the circle a setting of stones of the same kind runs about 15m down the slope. <1>
The site was visited by A MacInnes in 2010 as part of research for a dissertation on hut circles in Wester Ross for A Welti. The 'stone settings' were seen and described as field boundary walls which run down slope 20m to NW & 10m to SE of hut circle. <2>
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Wentworth, R. 1989. 'Survey', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1989, p.33-4. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 33-4. 34.
- <2> Text/Manuscript: Welti, A.. 2012. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye. University of Aberdeen. Yes. Digital. AMC134.
- <3> Dataset/Database File: Welti, A.. 2009-2016. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye: project database. Lochbroom Field Club. Yes. Digital. AMC134.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8042 7232 (20m by 20m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/76503 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.