MHG44002 - Baligill Mill
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- WOOLLEN MILL (Undated)
A water-driven carding mill dating from the 19th century, now disused and unroofed.
Visited by OS (NKB), 10 August 1977.
The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland (A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900, pp. 187-188) - Sinclair B Calder, 1974
J Aitken : 19/2/2004
(Location cited as NC 855 657). Wollen mill, Baligill, built c1800 as a meal mill and converted to a woollen mill c1860. The roofless but otherwise complete ruin of a rubble building on an L plan.
J R Hume 1977.
This L-shaped structure of dressed stone measures 15.5m by 11.5m over all; traces of a possible dam and lade are also to be seen. It probably dates from 19th century and is locally said to have been meal mill which was subsequently used for carding wool.
R J Mercer 1981.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Hume, J R. 1977. The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands. Paper (Original). 315.
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Mercer, R J. 1981. Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland: volume II, 1980-81. University of Edinburgh. 30/12/1981. Paper and Digital. 95, 129, no. 230; fig. 44.
- --- Text/Manuscript: Calder, Sinclair B.. 1974. The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland: A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900. The University of Strathclyde.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Highland Council. Mill, Badigill. Colour Slide; Digital Image. . Original & digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 8551 6567 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM4265 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6853 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.