MHG44009 - Gordon's Mills


No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • GRAIN MILL (Undated)

Protected Status

Full Description

On the shore of Udale Bay. The spinning mill, four-storeys high, was in operation from Jan. 1797, under a manager and others brought in who had a knowledge of 'sorting, scribbling, carding and spinning'. The owner expressed the hope that the emill would provide employement and 'meliorate the condition of the people, many of whom are yearly emigrating to other countries'. A number of plots were laid out beside the mills to form the nucleus of a new village. There was also a waulk (fulling) mill nearby. The venture failed c. 1815, and the mill was converted to grind grain.
Ross & Cromarty - A Historical Guide by D Alson, 1999

J Aitken: 14/09/04
Corn & Barley Mills Marked on 1st ed OS. Mill lade from WNW. General area is called Gordon Mills. Whiskypark is name given to area to N - HAW 2/2003

NH76NW 20 7064 6541
(Location cited as NH 707 654). Gordon's Mills, Resolis, built 1796 as a snuff mill. A rectangular two-storey and attic, four-bay rubble building with ashlar facing at the wheel gable. The wheel and machinery have been removed but marks on the gable indicate that there have been at least three wheels on the site, two of them about 12ft (3.66m) diameter and one about 14ft (4.27m); the last was about 4ft 6ins (1.37m) wide. Now a cowshed.
J R Hume 1977.

Sources/Archives (1)



Grid reference Centred NH 7064 6541 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH76NW
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish RESOLIS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (2)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.