MHG4412 - Possible Stone Circle - Rath of Kingussie
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- STANDING STONE (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 551 BC)
- MOOT (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)
- None recorded
NH70SE 4 75 00.
The Rath of Kingussie, a circle of standing stones used for judicial purposes. In 1380 Alexander Stewart, Lord of Badenoch held a court of regality here. "The Raich is still known, but the stones are gone". Henshall (A S Henshall 1963) suggests that the stones "may be the remains of a chambered cairn."
A S Henshall 1963; J Logan 1886; I F Grant 1630; A Macpherson 1893.
Local enquiries failed to produce any information regarding this site. Visited by OS (R L) 29 November 1966.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Grant, I F. 1930. The Social and Economic Development of Scotland before 1603. 57.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Macpherson, A. 1893. Church and Social Life. 121.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Logan, J. 1886. On the laws or duns of Scotland. SHG2270. 284-8. 287.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. i.
|Grid reference||Centred NN 7500 9999 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||KINGUSSIE AND INSH|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14078 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.