MHG4420 - Alvie Church
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Medieval to 21st Century - 1058 AD to 2100 AD)
Access Audit 3 - HAW 11/2003
J Aitken : 10/12/02
NH80NE 17 8640 0933.
NH 96400933 Alvie Church, built 1798, repaired 1833.
G Hay 1957.
Church built in 1768 and rebuilt in 1833, 1880 & 1952. Church rectangular in plan of tooled granite, rectangular bellcote to west, 4 round headed windows and slate roof. Inside is a number of mural plaques and memorial to ministers of Alvie since 1567.
Rubble built wall surrounding churchyard.
Mixture of headstones, pedestal, obelisk, tablestone, slab, relief, crosses and Commonwealth War Grave dating from mid 19th century to present day.
Majority in fair condition, some very heavy with lichen. Extension to east. Still in use. (B&S Graveyard Survey 1999)
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8640 0933 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB1650 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB49689 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14882 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.