MHG4423 - Duchess of Gordon's Monument, Kinrara
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAPEL (Early Medieval to 19th Century - 561 AD to 1900 AD)
Duchess of Gordon's Monument (NAT). Site of St. Eata's Chapel (NR).
OS 6"map, Inverness, 2nd ed., (1903)
'Speyside Monumental Inscriptions', pre 1855
Monumental inscription survey completed by Alison Mitchell. The survey may not include inscription information after 1855 and each inscription transcribed does not give the full details that appear on the stones, abbreviations used. Some ommissions and inacuraciesmay be encountered. First published 1975, reprinted 1992. Survey undertaken between 1970-1974.
J Aitken : 20/12/02
Before the erection of the monument to Jane, Duchess of Gordon in 1812, the site of St. Eata's chapel was visible. but since the interment replanting and trenching have removed all traces. Nothing is known of the erection of the chapel or when it was disused. Shaw records that "St Eata, at Kinara" was one of three pre-Reformation chapels, besides the parish church, in Alvie.
Name Book 1871; L Shaw 1882.
No further information.
Visited by OS (N K B) 28 November 1966.
REFERENCE - Scottish Record Office
Monument to Jane, Duchess of Gordon
1873 Thomas Sams, sculptor.
GD 44/Sec 51/280
GD 44/Sec 52/200/40
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Edited by Alison Mitchell. 1992. Speyside Monumental Inscriptions, pre 1855. 2nd.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Shaw, L. 1882. The history of the province of Moray: comprising the counties of Elgin and Nairn, the greater part of the County of Inverness, and a portion of the County of Banff - all called the Province of Moray before there was a division into counties. 280.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 4, 25-6.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8687 0768 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB1678 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14888 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.