MHG44258 - Med Moat etc, Delny

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

NH77SW 10 centred 734 723.

The earls of Ross had a residence at Delny, 'our manor house' of Delny appearing in at least one 15th-century MacDonald charter. Virtually all medieval traces have disappeared and the site at Delny is now occupied by a large farmstead and late 19th-century villa. It is possible that Delny was a wet moated site similar to 'David's Fort' (NH55SW 4).
OSA 1793; Orig Paroch Scot 1855; A MacDonald and A MacDonald 1896; G Stell 1986.


Sir John Sinclair (ed.), 1791-9, The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes, Vol. 6, 194-5n (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2606.


OPS, 1855, Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland, 460-2 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG342.


MacDonald and MacDonald, A and A, 1896, The Clan Donald, 603-4 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG359.


Stell, G, 1986, Architecture and society in Easter Ross before 1707, 107 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG3139.

Sources/Archives (4)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 7340 7230 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH77SW
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish KILMUIR EASTER

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.