MHG44271 - Kintradwell
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- DROVE ROAD (Undated)
- None recorded
NC90NW 29 930 081
The site of the Wilkhouse may owe it’s origins to the flow of traffic along the old coastal road from the Ord in the north to Littleferry, south of Golspie. The use of the road coincides with droving which was taking place all over Sutherland and Caithness in the 18th & 19th centuries, taking cattle to the markets further south. Wilkhouse was an inn used by the Reverand Sage when he was a boy, on his way to boarding school. He describes the inn and his stay in 'Memerobilia Domestica'. First depicted on Roy’s military map of approx. 1745-55 and mentioned in the first OS namebook of 1873.
Information supplied by J Aitken: 16/01/02.
This site was previously recorded at NC 924 074 which corresponded to the location shown on Roy's map, however this grid reference does not match the location as shown on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (1879) and the site has now been relocated at the grid reference shown.
(NC 924 074) Wilkhouse: shown by Roy (nothing here on modern maps). W Roy 1747-55, sheet 36/1
An unroofed building is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1879, sheet xcviii), but it is not shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10,560 map (1964).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 30 October 1995
|Grid reference||Centred NC 9299 0810 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/75131 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.