MHG4428 - Clava-type ring cairn, Delfour
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- RING CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
Stone Circle (NR)
Standing Stone (NR)
Delfour 'stone circle' - a Clava ring-cairn comprising an outer kerb of about 58 ft diameter, of substantial boulders and a carefully built inner ring of smaller stones. Outside the kerb is a turf-covered bank of small stones (an original feature but increased by field-gathered stones formerly heaped on the site): very little of the cairn material survives. To the SW of the cairn and 22ft from the kerb is a monolith 9ft 6ins high, and to the N of this a prostrate slab 8ft long; these may be the remains of the monolithic surrounding circle.
A S Henshall 1963, visited 1957.
As described and planned by Henshall.
Surveyed at 1/2500.
Visited by OS (R L) 1 December 1966
Field sketch of ring cairn and standing stone - see Assoc. Docs. File.
J Aitken : 18/12/00.
Douglas Scott submitted photographs to the HER in July 2011. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Cash, C G. 1906. 'Stone circles at Grenish, Aviemore, and Delfour, Strathspey', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 40 1905-6, p.245-54. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 245-54. 253.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 374-5, INV 29; plan, fig. 94.
- <1> Image/Photograph(s): Scott, D. 2010-11. Photographs and information from Douglas Scott. Colour. Yes. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8442 0858 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM898 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14894 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.