MHG44340 - Mellon Charles


No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • KILN BARN (Undated)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

NG89SW 3.00 centred on 845 913
NG89SW 3.01 NG 84 91 Cottages: cruck-framed

"Applies to a large district of fishermen's crofts situated on the E shore of Loch Ewe and W of Ormiscaig...extending from a dyke immediately to the E of Allt Bhruachan Rhuadha to Geodhachan Bana..."
Name Book 1881

A crofting township comprising 106 roofed, 13 partially roofed, 24 unroofed buildings and their associated enclosures is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire 1881, sheet xix). Several of the roofed buildings have rounded unroofed compartments at one end which may indicate that these buildings are kiln barns. 88 roofed, 4 partially roofed and 50 unroofed buildings and their associated enclosures are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10560 map (1969).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 22 April 1996

Sources/Archives (1)



Grid reference Centred NG 8449 9130 (30m by 30m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NG89SW
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish GAIRLOCH

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.