MHG44359 - Kilphedir Burn
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- SHIELING (Undated)
NC91NE 29 993 187.
(Centred NC 994 186) Hut Circles (NR) (Even shown) (A:NC 9904 1880) Enclosure (NR)
OS 6"map, (1964)
To N of road bridge over Allt Cille Pheadair, is a circular enclosure (A) formed by a single line of contiguous boulders. At NE, a mound about 14' in diameter lies partly on the circumference. A number of mounds, several apparently excavated, and some hut circles lie nearby. Amongst these mounds are the remains of old banks or walls, in some instances connecting with small circular enclosures. One, 350 yards SSW of the broch (See NC91NE 27) is 9' internal diameter with a S entrance. Attached to it on the S is an oval enclosure meauring 15' by 11' internally.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909.
A total of five hut circles (A, B, D, E and F) an enclosure (C), a sub-rectangular structure (G) and a scooped shieling-type structure (H) were locate during field perambulation.
Visited by OS (W D J) 21 May 1960.
Centred at NC 993187 on an undulating SW-facing slope in open moorland, is a settlement of five stone-walled huts (A-E) within a well-preserved field system. Huts C and E are more massive than the others, being broadly similar to Kilphedir type II (See NC91NE 25) whereas A, B and D can be equated with the earlier type 1 hut. F cannot be located.
Of the dunuded hut A, 12.5m overall diameter, little more than the outer face of stones on edge can be seen. The mound overlying the wall in the NW is a clearance heap. B measures 7m N-S by 6.0m internally within a wall of 1.1m estimated thickness. Some outer facing stones are visible. C is 12.5m NW-SE by 10m within a wall now 0.8m internal height which is spread to 3m broad widening to 4m at the entrance which is clubbed. Hut D adjacent to C is 5.5m NW-SE by 5m within a wall spread to 2m broad, and E is 8.0m NW-SE by 7m within a wall of 2m estimated breadth widening to 3m at the entrance where one portal stone is extant. The entrance to each hut is in the S or SE arc, and, with the exception of C is of simple form. The field system occupies an area of about 15 hectares, best-preserved in the vicinity of huts A and B where a number of contiguous cultivation plots, 25m by 15m average size, are discernible. These plots are delineated by clearance, heaped and linear, and stony lynchets.
The "sub-rectangular structure" (G) cannot be located, and the structure (H), as described by previous OS field investigator, is possibly a shieling.
Re-surveyed at 1:10,560 Visited by OS (N K B) 26 July 1976.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 116, Nos. 329-31 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 9930 1870 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:2809 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM2809 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7002 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.