MHG4441 - Dunachton Lodge
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CASTLE (Undated)
- LODGE (Undated)
- None recorded
NH80SW 2.01 NH 8208 0461 Pictish Symbol Stone
(NH 8211 0474) Dunachton Lodge On Remains of Dunachton Castle (NR).
OS 6"map, Inverness, 2nd ed., (1903)
The old castle of Dunachton was burnt down by the MacDonalds of Keppoch (in Lochaber) c. 1689. A small cellar, said to have been a dungeon, still remains. (Name Book 1871)
The castle is first mentioned in a precept in 1380 by Alexander Stuart, the Wolf of Badenoch. (C Fraser-Mackintosh 1866)
In 1870, an incised symbol stone was found serving as a lintel in the old steading at Dunachton (the stones of which were used in building the Lodge). It has been erected on the terrace at the S. corner of the garden, about 100 yards. from the front door of the Lodge. It is 4'3 1/2" x 16" x 4 1/2" with incised lines on one face.
Name Book 1871; C Fraser-Mackintosh 1866; J R Allen and J Anderson 1903.
No further information regarding Dunachton Castle. Situated at NH 8208 0461, the symbol stone is as described and illustrated by Romilly Allen.
Surveyed at 1/2500.
Visited by OS (R L) 30 November 1966.
Class 1 symbol stone showing a deer's head.
A.Mack 1997 p.106
REFERENCE - Scottish Record Office
Comment on Plans for Dunachton House.
Letter from Lady Glass (to Charles Fraser Mackintosh).
She aproves of the Plans of Dunachton except for the smallness of the Drawing room windows.
1869 GD 128/12/2
Alteration to Plans for Dunachton House.
Letter from John Rhind, Architect, to Charles Fraser MacKintosh.
Lady Glass has complained that the proposed drawing room windows are too small. Mr Rhind enclosed alternative sketches, one of an oriel window and one of 3 light windows. He expects the alteration to the contract plan to cost about ?50.
1869 GD 128/12/2
Comment on Plans for Estate Buildings.
Letter from Sir R A Glass to Charles Fraser MacKintosh.
He returned the Plan of the stables and Kennels and comments upon the Boat House, the Keeper's House and the Bothy.
1869 GD 128/12/2
Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 32, 196 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3364.
Macbain, A, 1891, 'Badenoch: Its history, clans, and place names', Trans Gaelic Soc Inverness Vol. 16 1889-90, p.148-97, 189 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG225.
Allen and Anderson, J R and J, 1903, The early Christian monuments of Scotland: a classified illustrated descriptive list of the monuments with an analysis of their symbolism and ornamentation, pt. 3, 55 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG1883.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Allen and Anderson, J R and J. 1903. The early Christian monuments of Scotland: a classified illustrated descriptive list of the monuments with an analysis of their symbolism and ornamentation. pt. 3, 55.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Macbain, A. 1891. 'Badenoch: Its history, clans, and place names', Trans Gaelic Soc Inverness Vol. 16 1889-90, p.148-97. Trans Gaelic Soc Inverness. 148-97. 189.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 32, 196.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8210 0473 (300m by 300m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14912 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.