MHG44594 - Hut circle - Creag Loisgte
A hut circle at Creag Loisgte.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
A hut circle at Creag Loisgte.
In the springs of 1995 and 1996 a field survey was carried out on the NTS Balmacara Estate by M Wildgoose. At NG 7694 2730 on a natural platform, at the foot of an east facing rocky slope and 45.0m north-west of Site 65 above, are the stone foundations of a circular structure. The remains protrude through the peat overburden, obscured by heather, and a small bush grows within the circle. The circle measures 8.0m in diameter over walls 1.0m + - thick. A gap 1.1m wide on the north-east side of the circle may be an entrance. A few metres to the south are 2 groups of boulders, these may be the ruins of 2 smaller circular structures. This site is very similar to Site 64 (see MHG44595) which lies 130m to the north-east. Both sites occupy similar positions overlooking the same marshy basin. <1>
176952 827296 Creag Loisgte B, AW010: The hut circle was visited by A Welti, C Boyd and M Wildgoose in 2009 as part of research for a dissertation on hut circles in Wester Ross. This circular HC sits on a natural terrace on sloping ground, facing SW. Structure was hard to discern owing to very tall heather. Average inner wall diameter 6.3m. Outer diameter and wall thickness could not be measured. Several stones had collapsed downslope. From the site there were panoramic views to Loch Alsh and Skye. The HC may be associated with CB001 (see MHG44595) at a distance of 150m to NE. The HC is 200m W of a track noted at NG 77236 27365 (reading taken at a shieling dimensions 2.5m X 2.5m) and rising to NG77798 27753 at elevation 110m. See sketch in M Wildgoose's 1996 Balmacara Phase 3 report (Site 66). <2> <3>
[Note: a database was set up as part of research for the dissertation and was subsequently expanded as an extension of the We Digs Project (see website link below). The full access database can be made available to enquirers/researchers if requested - contact HER for details].
GIS spatial data amended in 2018 to location as shown on 2009 APs. <4>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wildgoose, M.. 1996. An Archaeological Survey of the Balmacara Estate: Phase 3 - 1996: For The National Trust for Scotland. Dualchas Museums' Service. 06/05/1999. Paper and Digital. Site 66.
- <2> Text/Manuscript: Welti, A.. 2012. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye. University of Aberdeen. Yes. Digital. AW010.
- <3> Dataset/Database File: Welti, A.. 2009-2016. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye: project database. Lochbroom Field Club. Yes. Digital. AW010.
- <4> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 7695 2730 (13m by 13m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.