MHG4470 - Cairn - Carn Challard
Cairn, possibly a ring cairn - Carn Challard
Type and Period (2)
- CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC? to 2401 BC?)
- RING CAIRN? (Neolithic - 4000 BC? to 2401 BC?)
- None recorded
Cairn (possibly a ring cairn) near Inverlaidnan Farm.
Information contained in letter from D C Murray, Tighandallan House, Evanton, Ross and Cromarty to OS 23 January 1978, visited by Murray in 1973.
A project to survey and record archaeological features at Inverlaidnan and Sluggan (originally named Inchluin) was undertaken by NOSAS members in 2018.
Site 51. Cairn. This substantial stone cairn which lies mostly on the N side of the deer fence is 10.5m E/W x 14m N/S. An internal oval chamber possibly excavated at a later modern date is 3.5m E/W x 2.5m internally and c.1m deep. The remains of a wall running NE from cairn with 1.2m spread x 0.4m height is approximately 20m in length. A deer fence has been constructed across the south part of the cairn. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 1999-2001 aerial photographs <2>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, M.. 2019. Inverlaidnan and Sluggan/Inchluin, near Carrbridge, Inverness-shire: The Report of a Project to Identify, Survey and Record Archaeological Remains in 2018. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.27 Site 51.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map). XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8668 2233 (14m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||DUTHIL AND ROTHIEMURCHUS|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14967 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.