MHG44716 - Dun - Dun Skudiburgh
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- DUN (Iron Age - 550 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
Dun Skudiburgh (NR)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1903)
This fort occupies a conspicuous knoll near the shore 1 mile N of Uig Bay. It is oval on plan, measuring axially 150' x 120' within a ruined wall c. 10' thick. It is covered on the E side by a similar wall 320' long, and on the N by two walls, the outer of which stops short of the long wall to leave an entrance gap.
A small drop-shaped dun measuring internally 34' x 24' lies on the E arc of the ruined wall near the probable position of the entrance of the latter. The wall of the dun varies between 9'-12' thick.
R W Feachem 1963; RCAHMS 1928, visited 1921.
Dun Skudiburgh, a partly vitrified fort, overlaid by a dun, is generally as planned by the RCAHMS. There is an additional outwork on the W; it turns E on a change of slope, then S where it is overlaid by a more recent wall. There are remains of extra defence on the E where steep rock faces outside the main outwork have been joined by stretches of walling. There are traces of what may be a similar blocking wall on the W below the main fort wall, but this is confused by more recent walls in the same area. Lumps of vitrifaction were noted in the main wall of the fort in the W arc.
A medial stabilising wall is visible round the W and S sides of the dun, varying from c. 0.7m to c. 1.0m in from the outer wall face. The entrance is not evident, but was probably from the E, where there is a gap in the tumble.
Visited by OS (R L) 8 September 1971.
This site was included in the Atlas of Hillforts of Britain and Ireland online database. See link below for site entry. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Feachem, R W. 1963. A Guide to Prehistoric Scotland. 1st. 157.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1928. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Ninth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the Outer Hebrides, Skye and the Small Isles. . 171-2, No. 542; plan fig. 243, illust.. XY
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: Lock, G. & Ralston, I.. 2017. Atlas of Hillforts of Britain and Ireland. SC2707.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 3740 6473 (15m by 17m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://hillforts.arch.ox.ac.uk/records/SC2707.html (Link to online Atlas of Hillforts of Britain and Ireland site entry)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11195 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.