MHG44744 - Angel's Hill

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • CEMETERY (Undated)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Grave Yard (NAT)
OS 6"map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1905)

A hill-fort and its outworks, filled up with soil in antiquity, and used as a burial ground. The hill on which it lies is called "Angel's Hill". T Wallace 1910.

A near-circular graveyard, about 20.0m in diameter, crowning a prominent knoll. It is still in occasional use, and is surrounded by an iron railing bedded in a dry stone foundation. This foundation is placed on the brink of a stony scarp 1.5m high, most evident in the N, which is undoubtedly the remains of an ancient wall. About 2.0m outside this, at a lower level, in the W is another grassy scarp, undoubtedly artificial, which ties into an outcrop on the SW and merges with the upper scarp in the N. There is little doubt that these fragmentary remains are those of a dun with an outwork, with the original internal area corresponding roughly to the area of the graveyard.
Surveyed at 1:2500 scale.
Visited by OS (A A) 12 June 1964.

Sources/Archives (1)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NG 8314 2745 (200m by 200m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NG82NW
Geographical Area SKYE AND LOCHALSH
Civil Parish LOCHALSH

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.