MHG4485 - Garva Bridge
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BRIDGE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
St George's Bridge, over Spey at Garvamore: 2 arches with long flat parapet and ramped ends; one side has been strengthened with buttresses in center and either end. Completed 1732, the most outstanding Wade bridge between Dalwhinnie and Fort Augustus.
Bldgs of Arch or Hist Interest Laggan Parish 1964 3 no18 (Scot Dev Dept)
The bridge was Scheduled in 1971.
The bridge was listed at Category A in 1971.
Field sketch of bridge - see Assoc. Docs. File.
J Aitken : 18/12/00.
BAS Local Plan, Sept. 1997: P19/2.5.13. Historic Buidlings.
J Aitken : 24/05/01.
Access Audit 38 - HAW 11/2003
Photographs taken in 2009 by S Tilbury, HER Officer. <1>
Following reassessment as part of a Dual Designations project, the bridge was descheduled by Historic Environment Scotland in 2016, however, it remains a Category A Listed building. <2>
Close-Brooks, J, 1986, Exploring Scotland's Heritage: The Highlands, 58-9, No. 21 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2053.
<1> Tilbury, S, 2009-11, Photographs by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer, 12/06/2009 (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG24247.
<2> Jackson, L., 2016, Scheduled Monument Descheduling Notification - SM2948, SM961 (Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument). SHG27746.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Close-Brooks, J. 1986. Exploring Scotland's Heritage: The Highlands. 58-9, No. 21.
- <1> Image/Photograph(s): Tilbury, S. 2009-11. Photographs by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer. Colour. . Digital. 12/06/2009.
- <2> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Jackson, L.. 2016. Scheduled Monument Descheduling Notification - SM2948, SM961. Historic Environment Scotland. 24/03/2016. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NN 5217 9475 (50m by 50m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (4)
- http://kweimar.de/Bilder_XML.php?ket=05_01 (View more information on this bridge from a website about Highland Bridges)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB6900 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM2948 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/24316 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.