MHG4486 - Garva Barracks


No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • INN (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

Full Description

Access Audit 37 - HAW 11/2003

NN59SW 3 5280 9431.
The Barracks, Garvamore: A keeper's house at one time an inn, now disused. Long 2 storey range, old stonework patched and cemented, plain gables, 5 small rectangular upper windows.
Bldgs of Arch or Hist Interest Laggan parish 1964 3 no 17 (Scot Dev Dept)

BAS Local Plan, Sept. 1997: P18/2.5.8. Countryside Management.
POLICY - The Council propose to provide visitor facilities in association with the above features of interest, subject to Ancient Scheduled Monument Consent, where appropriate.
J Aitken : 24/05/01.

This former inn or kingshouse was used at one time as a keeper's house (Salmond 1938), allowed to increasingly fall into disrepair (Taylor 1976) and then subject to restoration (Baker and Baker). It is believed to have been used as a barracks, although in fact it was used by both soldiers and civilians who had to cross the pass (Taylor 1976). Once the Corrieyairack became a drove road, the drovers used Garvamore as a 'stance' for overnighting their cattle, as water and grazing were available. It is thought that the long two storey building dates from 1740. The restoration work of this monument has involved patching and cementing the stonework and repairing the roof.
Visited by OS March 1979.
J B Salmond 1938; W Taylor 1976; J and A Baker 1982; M Logie (Highland Council) 1997; NMRS MS/1007/4.

Sources/Archives (1)



Grid reference Centred NN 5280 9430 (30m by 30m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NN59SW
Civil Parish LAGGAN

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (3)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.