MHG44926 - Cup marked stones - St. Barevan's Church, Kirkton of Barevan


No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • CUP MARKED STONE (Undated)

Protected Status

Full Description

NH84NW 6 8368 4725.
St Barevan's Church (NR) (In Ruins) Holy Water Fonts (NAT) (NH 8368 4726) Stone Coffin (NAT)
OS 6"map, Nairnshire, 2nd ed., (1906)

Parish church of Barevan or Cawdor until it was superseded 1619. (See NH84NW 4 for later church)

The ruin is EC14. In 1937 the side walls stood to a height of 11 to 12ft, but the gables were reduced to the foundations. The piscina niche near the east end still contained its double bowl (i.e. the published 'Holy Water Fonts'). Simpson (1937) makes no mention of the annexe on the SW corner, which is shown on the OS 6"map, Nairnshire, 1st ed., (1869) and is noted by the OS Reviser in 1955. Watson (1926) derives the name 'Barr Eibhinn' from Aibind, who was active between 500 and 550 AD. This Celtic origin is apparently confirmed by a Celtic bell, said to have belonged to the church, which is preserved at Cawdor Castle. The churchyard contains, south and south-west of the church, some late mediaeval grave-slabs, and, to the north of the church, a mediaeval stone coffin.
There are also at least a dozen cup-marked grave-slabs in the churchyard.
W D Simpson 1937; W J Watson 1926; W Jolly 1882; OS reviser D Wainwright 15 September 1955.

St Barevan's Church, measuring 21.6m E to W by 6.2m transversely internally, with walls 0.8m thick, the graveyard and its contents, are as described above, except that no trace remains of the cup-marked grave-slabs, nor could their present whereabouts be ascertained. The annexe on the SW corner of the church is a fairly modern burial place. Visited by OS (N K B) 22 November 1965.

Of special interest as the architectural detail associates it with the hall-house at Rait (NH85SE 10).
J G Dunbar 1966.

The church and burial gound were listed at Category B in 1971.

The church and burial ground were scheduled in 1971.

Awaiting DES entry 98/036.

The gravestones were surveyed by S Farrell in 2003. It was noted that some writers have ststed that the cup-marks may be nothing more than the result of weathering on the natural sandstone which in this area has natula conglomerates of pebbles. <1>

It was proposed that the old church and burial ground be removed from the statutory list in September 2016 as part of a Historic Environment Scotland project looking at dual designations of sites in the Highlands, though they would remain a scheduled monument. <2>

The old church and burial ground were removed from the statutory list by Historic Environment Scotland on 22/09/2016. <3>

See also:
NH84NW0110 Graveyard

Sources/Archives (19)



Grid reference Centred NH 8368 4724 (10m by 10m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NH84NW
Civil Parish CAWDOR
Geographical Area NAIRN

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (2)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.