MHG44972 - Cross slabs - St. Donan's Chapel, Kildonnan, Eigg
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CROSS SLAB (Early Medieval - 561 AD to 1057 AD)
- None recorded
NM48NE0075 Graveyard (MHG31370)
NM48NE0019 Church (MHG5687)
J Aitken : 11/12/02
Renumbered from NM48NE0019A
See NM48NE0019 Chapel and burial ground (parent)
NM48NE 19.01 4887 8533
Casts of 4 cross-slabs and a late 14th c. cross shaft at St Donan's are in NMAS together with that of parts of a head and shaft of another cross featuring a hunting scene.
RCAHMS 1928, visited 1925; OPS 1854; D Monro 1549; M Martin 1934; Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1933; 1934
A number of carved stones, probably discovered in the vicinity of St Donnan's Church (MHG5687), are now displayed in the porch of The Lodge, Galmisdale (MHG42120).
Information from RCAHMS (LMcC), 9 November 2009.
Slide of cross in Assoc. Docs.
For further information on the seven individual cross slabs found in or near the church is given by Fisher (2001) and the Early Medieval Carved Stones Project (Ritchie, 2016). See links below to HES Canmore parent record and HES Canmore child records for this information. <1> <2>
The Cross slabs may have been moved from the Lodge to St Donnan’s Roman Catholic Church at NM 4741 8853. GW 11/04/2019
Listed in the NMS catalogue are casts of cross slabs from St Donnan's, Eigg. IB 219- IB 222, IB 225, IB 228. <3>
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 22128, 319400, 319401, 319402, 319403, 319404, 319415.
- <2> Text/Publication/Volume: Fisher, I.. 2001. Early Medieval Sculpture in the West Highlands and Islands 2001. Fisher, I.. Paper (Original). pp. 92-4.
- <3> Dataset/Database File: National Museums of Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums of Scotland. Digital. IB 219- IB 222, IB 225, IB 228.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 4888 8531 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||SMALL ISLES|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (8)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/108566 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/22158/eigg-kildonnan (Link to online HES Canmore record)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/319400/eigg-kildonnan (Link to online HES Canmore record)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/319401/eigg-kildonnan (Link to online HES Canmore record)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/319402/eigg-kildonnan (Link to online HES Canmore record)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/319403/eigg-kildonnan (Link to online HES Canmore record)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/319404/eigg-kildonnan (Link to online HES Canmore record)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/319415/eigg-kildonnan (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.