MHG44992 - Carved Stone - Convinth Old Parish Church, graveyard
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CARVED STONE (Pictish - 300 AD? to 900 AD?)
- (Alternate Type) CROSS SLAB (Early Medieval - 561 AD to 1057 AD)
This was once the parish church of Convinth (W Jolly 1882) 2), and was dedicated to St. Lawrence. Convinth was a parish in 1221. The churchyard contains some early stones, including one bearing a horse and rider, suggestive of the Celtic period. There are also two cup-marked stones, one with two cups, the other with four.
T Wallace 1911
The stone No. 1 shows a rider on horseback, sculptured in low relief within a rectangular border, in rather an archaic style, suggestive of the similar figures so common on the sculptured stones of the period of the early Celtic Church.
T Wallace 1911
St Lawrence's Church - possibly of 16/17th century date, with no trace of earlier structure - is built of random masonry, roughly coursed with rubble infilling and measures approx 22.0m by 6.8m within a wall 1.0m thick. The SW gable and the NW wall stand to a maximum height of c.2.5 m, and part of the SE wall survives as a foundation, but the NE gable is destroyed. Graves occupy the interior. The burial ground is still in use.
The stone bearing the horse and rider, and the two cup-marked stones, could not be located and there is no local knowledge of them.
Visited by OS (R D) 9 Feburary 1970
'Inverness District West Monumental Inscriptions', pre 1855
Monumental inscription survey completed by Alastair G Beattie & Margaret H Beattie . The survey may not include inscription information after 1855 and each inscription transcribed does not give the full details that appear on the stones, abbreviations used. Some ommissions and inacuraciesmay be encountered. First published 1993, reprinted 1994.
J Aitken : 20/12/02
The description of the carved stone may suggest a Class 1 stone of the early medieval period. This stone was not located during a walkover survey in August 2008. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Wallace, T. 1911. 'Notes on some sculptured slabs and headstones in the churchyards of Glenconvinth and Kirkhill, Inverness-shire'. Proc Soc Antiq Scot Volume 45. 309-14. 327-8; plan 327.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Edited by Alastair G Beattie & Margaret H Beattie. 1994. Inverness District West Monumental Inscriptions, pre 1855. 2nd.
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: McCullagh, C. 10/2008. Kiltarlity to Drumnadrochit Overhead Line: Desk Based and Walk-Over Survey. Highland Archaeology Services Ltd. 14/10/2008. Digital. Feature D.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5119 3743 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||KILTARLITY AND CONVINTH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB8099 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/319514/convinth-old-parish-church-burial-ground (Link to online HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.