MHG44993 - Convinth Old Parish Church, graveyard
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CUP MARKED STONE (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC? to 551 BC?)
This was once the parish church of Convinth (W Jolly 1882) 2), and was dedicated to St. Lawrence. Convinth was a parish in 1221. The churchyard contains some early stones, including one bearing a horse and rider, suggestive of the Celtic period. There are also two cup-marked stones, one with two cups, the other with four.
Glen-convinth church is traditionally said to have been founded by a companion of St Erchard.(W MacKay 1893)
(St. Erchard waw a disciple of St. Ternan. St. Ternan lived in the 5th century). (W D Simpson 1935)
T Wallace 1911
St Lawrence's Church - possibly of 16/17th century date, with no trace of earlier structure - is built of random masonry, roughly coursed with rubble infilling and measures approx 22.0m by 6.8m within a wall 1.0m thick. The SW gable and the NW wall stand to a maximum height of c.2.5 m, and part of the SE wall survives as a foundation, but the NE gable is destroyed. Graves occupy the interior. The burial ground is still in use.
The stone bearing the horse and rider, and the two cup-marked stones, could not be located and there is no local knowledge of them.
Visited by OS (R D) 9 Feburary 1970
'Inverness District West Monumental Inscriptions', pre 1855
Monumental inscription survey completed by Alastair G Beattie & Margaret H Beattie . The survey may not include inscription information after 1855 and each inscription transcribed does not give the full details that appear on the stones, abbreviations used. Some ommissions and inacuraciesmay be encountered. First published 1993, reprinted 1994.
J Aitken : 20/12/02
These stones were not located during a walkover survey in August 2008. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Wallace, T. 1911. 'Notes on some sculptured slabs and headstones in the churchyards of Glenconvinth and Kirkhill, Inverness-shire'. Proc Soc Antiq Scot Volume 45. 309-14. 327-8; plan 327.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Jolly, W. 1882. On cup-marked stones in the neighbourhood of Inverness; with an appendix on cup-marked stones in the Western Islands. Proc Soc Antiq Scot Volume 16. 300-401. 383.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Edited by Alastair G Beattie & Margaret H Beattie. 1994. Inverness District West Monumental Inscriptions, pre 1855. 2nd.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Mackay, W. 1914. Urquhart and Glenmoriston: olden times in a Highland parish. 2nd ed.. 324.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Simpson, W D. 1935. The Celtic church in Scotland: a study of its penetration lines and art relationships. 65.
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: McCullagh, C. 10/2008. Kiltarlity to Drumnadrochit Overhead Line: Desk Based and Walk-Over Survey. Highland Archaeology Services Ltd. 14/10/2008. Digital. Feature D.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5119 3743 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||KILTARLITY AND CONVINTH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB8099 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/101145 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.