MHG45103 - Chapel, graveyard & well, Ballone
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HOLY WELL (Undated)
- None recorded
NH98SW 7 c.926 834.
(NH 9264 8342) Chapel (NR) (Site of) (NH 9267 8342) Grave Yard (NR) (Site of) (NH 9259 8338) Mary's Well (NAT)
OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)
The rather indefinite remains of a chapel exist at Ballone, near Ballone Castle, but on shore-level, one third of a mile NE of village of Rockfield (Davidson 1948). The chapel was known as Teampall-Earach and a well nearby was named Tobar Mhuire or Mary's Well (OPS 1855).
There is one tombstone on graveyard site bearing the date 1682 (ONB 1872).
OSA 1793; Orig Paroch Scot 1855; Name Book 1872; J M Davidson 1948.
No trace of chapel, graveyard or well. The gravestone, now split into two pieces, lies at NH 9267 8342.
Visited by OS (I S S) 8 September 1972.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Sir John Sinclair (ed.). 1791-9. The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes. Vol. 6, 431.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 29, No. 245.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 30, 45.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: OPS. 1855. Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland. 2/2. 434.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Davidson, J M. 1948. 'A miscellany of antiquities in Easter Ross and Sutherland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, Vol 80 (1945-46), pp 25-33. p 27.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 9259 8339 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15667 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.