MHG4513 - Bronze Socketed Axehead - Tom Na Tilleadh
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
A small, socketed bronze axe, found here in 1977 by Mr J M Macpherson, Dunmore, Newtonmore, is now in RMS (NMAS).
Letter and annotated 6"map from Dr J Close-Brooks, NMAS to OS 27 April 1978; Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1981.
(Socketed axe of Armorican type - provenance cited as Newtonmore). Single find. Socketed axe; blunted cutting edge, casting flaw below loop, condition unknown; length 77mm, mouth 11 x 20mm, cutting edge 27mm. Private collection; unpublished.
P K Schmidt and C B Burgess 1981.
The unpublished axe from 'Newtonmore' noted by Schmidt and Burgess is presumably to be identified with that found at Tom na Tilleadh.
Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 12 April 1990.
This axehead was catalogued as part of the North Kessock & District Local History Society and Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH) collaborative 'Feats of Clay' Project, which was focused on Bronze Age metalworking around the Moray Firth. It was assigned a Late Bronze Age date. <1>
Listed under Acc. No. DE 133 in the NMS catalogue. Described as Armorican type, small, socketed, in fair condition with a blunted cutting edge and casting flaw below loop. <2>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Schmidt and Burgess, P K and C B. 1981. 'The axes of Scotland and Northern England', Prahistorische Bronzefunde Vol. 9. Prahistorische Bronzefunde. 249, no. 1655A.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1981. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 110 1978-80, p.535-544. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 535-544. 538.
- <1> Text/Publication/Monograph: Clark, G., Cowie, T. & Kruse, S. 2017. Feats of Clay. Cat. No. 109.
- <2> Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. DE 133.
|Grid reference||Centred NN 7147 9870 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||KINGUSSIE AND INSH|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
- AXEHEAD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/25199 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
- https://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-100-104-171-C (Link to online NMS Catalogue database)
- https://www.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-100-104-171-C& (Link to online SCRAN record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.