MHG45130 - Clayside
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- TOWNSHIP (Undated)
- None recorded
NC80SE 7 8572 0161.
Clayside (NR) (remains of) OS 6"map, (1964)
The name Clayside refers to remains of old mansion house forming N wall of a clump of trees in a field to E of Dunrobin Mains. The place is well known in the district, but no further info can be obtained. Name Book 1873.
Clayside; a group of about eight buildings with arable is shown.
W Roy 1747-55.
All that survives is a stretch of walling 13m long, 0.6m thick and 2m high at E end, reducing to ground level at W; it is constructed of rubble masonry mortared, on the faces only, with lime bond.
Midway along the present top, and an integral part of the wall, is a flat dressed slab 0.7m long, 0.5m above ground level and is either a door-step or a window ledge. The wall appears to have extended eastwards, but probably in form of the plantation bank which enclosed the wood in which it lies. The vicinity of the wall is littered with debris and fallen trees.
The name still applies but no other info was forth-coming on site.
Visited by OS (E G C) 7 April 1962 and (J M) 21 August 1975.
- --- SHG2745 Text/Publication/Volume: Roy, W. 1747-55. Military Survey of Scotland. sheet 36/1.
- --- SHG3354 Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 23, 32.
- --- SHG7614 Image/Photograph(s): Mansion, Clayside. Digital Image. .
- --- SHG7615 Image/Photograph(s): Mansion, Clayside. Digital Image. .
- --- SHG7616 Image/Photograph(s): Mansion, Clayside. Digital Image. .
|Grid reference||Centred NC 8572 0161 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6557 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.