MHG4521 - Newtonmore
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- MILITARY CAMP (CULTURE 79; CULTURE 215; , Roman - 79 AD to 215 AD)
- None recorded
NN79NW 2 713 990.
(NN 71369901) Supposed Site of Roman Camp (R)
OS 6"map, Inverness, 2nd ed., (1903)
The OSA (OSA 1792) refers to a Roman encampment on a moor between the bridge of Spey and Pitmain. According to Anderson (G Anderson 1834) the village of Newton of Benchar (Newtonmore) is said to stand 'exactly within' the encampment, remains of which are 'yet discernible'; the right angles of the entrenchment still being visible c. 1834. It formed an outpost to the station at Bona on Loch Ness. Near it was found an urn full of ashes and a 'Roman tripod' which Crawford (O G S Crawford 1949) says was no doubt a mediaeval 'camp-kettle'. The NSA (NSA 1845) records some Roman coins from the area.
OSA 1792; G Anderson 1834; NSA 1845; O G S Crawford 1949.
The site of this alleged Roman Camp falls in a built up area. No visible remains of the camp could be found and the whereabouts of the finds are unknown.
Visited by OS (R D) 27 September 1965.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Anderson, G. 1834. Guide to the Highlands and Islands of Scotland. 1st. 88.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Crawford, O G S. 1949. Topography of Roman Scotland north of the Antonine Wall. 147.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: NSA. 1845. The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy. Vol. 14, Inverness, 43.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Sir John Sinclair (ed.). 1791-9. The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes. Vol. 3, 43.
|Grid reference||Centred NN 7129 9900 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||KINGUSSIE AND INSH|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/25203 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.