MHG45249 - Carriage House and Stables, Dunrobin Castle (North Entrance)
Late C19 stables and carriage house, part of the complex of buildings at the north entrance to Dunrobin Castle.
Type and Period (2)
- STABLE (Built, 19th Century - 1850 AD? to 1874 AD (between))
- CARRIAGE HOUSE (Built, 19th Century - 1850 AD? to 1874 AD (between))
- None recorded
L-shaped building adjacent to the eastern stable block at the north entrance to Dunrobin Castle, presumably functioned as an additional carriage house and stables, and perhaps alter as a garage for motor cars, although this is not confirmed. The east-west aligned wing was built by the time of the 1st edition 25" OS map c.1874 <1>, with the north-south aligned wing added later, by 1905 <2>. The building is built to the same architectural style as the two stable blocks that flank the north entrance. The building is clad with vertically aligned timber and with a corrugated iron sheet hipped roof. The southern elevation of the east-west aligned wing is single storey with attic. Three tall double entrances to wallhead height are located at the eastern end, with paired outer doors in centre, and a further single door at western end. Four round-headed dormers of corrugated iron are set into the roof with round-headed windows with intersecting astragals. The west gable wall has a 12-pane sash and case window and a window-less dormer set at wallhead height in the roof. The north-south aligned wing is a later addition and rises to 1 and a half storeys. Three tall double entrances are located in the southern end with a wide entrance passage through the building at the intersection of the two wings. Three round-headed dormers rise through wallhead with round-headed windows with intersecting astragals <3>. Photographed <4>.
- <1> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1873-4. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Sutherland (surveyed 1868-73).
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1905. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map: Sutherland (surveyed 1903 to 1905).
- <3> Verbal Communication: Puls, A. Comment by Andrew Puls, HC Archaeologist.
- <4> Image/Photograph(s): Puls, A. Site Visit Photographs. Colour. . Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 8499 0124 (33m by 24m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/93562 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.