MHG45250 - Stable (East Block), Dunrobin Castle (North Entrance)
Later C18 - early C19 stables. One of a pair flanking the north entrance of Dunrobin Castle.
Type and Period (1)
- STABLE (Built, 18th Century to 19th Century - 1750 AD to 1814 AD (between))
East Block of a pair of stables that flank the north entrance to Dunrobin Castle. The Listed Building record ascribes a date of later 18th century to the building <1>. The north entrance became the principle castle entrance when the road, contructed c.1810 by T Telford, passed to the north of the castle. Consequently, E Beaton ascribes a slightly later date of c.1810 to the building <2>, with Gifford giving a still later date of 1814 <3>.
- <1> Dataset: Historic Scotland. Information Supplementary to the Statutory List (This information has no legal significance). Digital.
- <2> Text/Publication/Volume: Beaton, E. 1995. Sutherland: An Illustrated Architectural Guide. Paper (Original). 55.
- <3> Text/Publication/Monograph: Gifford, J. 1992. Highland and Islands. The Buildings of Scotland. Paper (Original). 577.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 8496 0124 (24m by 13m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB7052 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.