MHG45269 - Cist & burial, Fodderty Farm
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BURIAL (Early Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 1501 BC) + Sci.Date
- None recorded
NH55NW 31 511 596.
In March 1980 a short cist was discovered during ploughing. The cist measured 1.1m W-E by 0.6m by 0.7m N-S internally. Inside was a crouched inhumation, with the head (face upwards) at the NW corner. Six flint flakes had been placed in the SE corner, but the original position of the Northern type beaker is not known as it was removed by the finder of the cist. The skeleton and other finds, along with the excavation archive, are in Inverness Museum, INVMG 980.11. (See also NH55NW 12)
R Gourlay 1984; R B Gourlay and G Harden 1985.
A radiocarbon date for the human skeletal material from the cist was obtained and published in 2006 and part of the Beaker People Project: Scottish Samples. This indicated am Early Bronze Age date of 2210-2050 BC, calibrated to 1 sigma. <1>
A document of correspondance from the Inverness Museum archive files lists the beaker under Acc. No. 1980.011.001 and the skeletal remains under 1980.011.008. <2> <3>
A radiocarbon date for Fodderty was published as part of the Bristish Museum Beaker Dating Programme in 1991. This produced a date of 2295-2135 BC, calibrated at 1 sigma. A copy of the appendix from this publication was sent to Inverness Museum and is kept within their archive files. <4> <2>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Hanley, R and Sheridan, A. 1994. 'A beaker cist from Balblair, near Beauly, Inverness District', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, Vol 124, pp 129-39. p 137.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Gourlay, R. 1984. The ancient past. SHG1943. 99-125. 107.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Gourlay and Harden, R B and G. 1985. 'Fodderty Farm (Fodderty p) Short cist', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1985, p.23. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 23. 23.
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Sheridan. A, et al. 2006. Radiocarbon Dating Results from the Beaker People Project: Scottish Samples. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 2006. 198- 201. Paper (Copy). 199.
- <2> Collection: Inverness Museum. 2019. Inverness Museum and Art Gallery Archive Files. 1980.011.
- <3> Collection/Catalogue: Inverness Museum & Art Gallery. Inverness Museum & Art Gallery Accession registers. 1980.011.
- <4> Text/Publication/Article: Kinnes, I. A., Gibson, A. M., Ambers, J., Bowman, S., Leese, M. N. and Boast, R.. 1991. Radiocarbon dating and the British beakers: the British Museum programme. Scottish Archaeological Review Volume 8. 35-68.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5109 5960 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12805 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.