MHG45273 - Cist w burial & beaker, Blackstand
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BURIAL (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
NH76SW 8 7145 6070.
This is an oval, gorse and broom covered mound in which a cist, with a skeleton and beaker, was found in or about 1940.
Henshall (1963) considers mound, which measures 120' by 90' and approx 7' high, more likely to be natural than artificial.
The cist was found, during the digging of trenches, in northern side of the mound. The beaker, of B/C type, was built up of rings of clay. It was found and presented by Captain F W Colledge, Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders, 1 East Mayfield, Edinburgh, to the NMAS- EG 90. The skeletal remains have been lost.
R B K Stevenson 1951; A A Woodham 1956; Info from A A Woodham to OS; A S Henshall 1963.
The find-spot was sited from the description given above to a natural mound, at NH 7146 6070, in a forestry plantation.
Surveyed at 1/2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 21 January 1966.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Stevenson, R B K. 1951. 'A beaker burial in the Black Isle', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, Vol 83 (1948-49), pp 235-6.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of the Black Isle, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 12, No. 52.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 338.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1951. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 83 1948-9, p.229-33, 241-8. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 229-33, 241-8. 242.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Woodham, A. A.. 1956. A survey of prehistoric monuments in the Black Isle. Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland Vol. 88 (1953-55). 65-93. p 79, 92.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7144 6069 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14539 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.