MHG45320 - Hut circle - Palascaig
A hut circle at Palascaig
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
A hut circle at Palascaig.
In the springs of 1995 and 1996 a field survey was carried out on the NTS Balmacara Estate by M Wildgoose. At NG 7862 2905 enclosing site 15 (see MHG28756) are the extensively robbed remains of a large but circle. The visible remains consist of a two faced wall, built of large boulders, about 9m in diameter. A possible entrance lies on the downslope east side. A very degraded but stable site. <1>
178646 829025 Palasaig 2 JDG010: The hut circle was visited by A Welti and P Dungay in 2009 as part of research for a dissertation on hut circles in Wester Ross. This was part of a degree course overseen by Aberdeen University. This circular HC sits on a natural terrace below and to E of a craggy rocky outcrop. Average inner wall diameter is 6.7m, outer wall diam is 8.5m, double skinned wall thickness 0.9m, max wall height 0.25m. There is a possible entrance to E.Few stones are visible; the structure is submerged by heather and bracken, and the walls have been robbed to build a sheiling/bothy inside the structure. 3 twinning pens diam 2m are close by (see sketch made in 1996). A cluster of 3 associated HC's include the one recorded in 1996 but not found in 2009. These three are between 250m and 300m apart. Palascaig 3 at NG7831 2945 (see MHG28757) was recorded in 1996 (MW1996) but was not located in 2009. The 2 other HC's were found, this one, and Palascaig 1 (PD003 at NG78425 29106 - see MHG45319). A smaller sub-circular structure (Palascaig 1A) is also associated with PD003. <2> <3>
[Note: a database was set up as part of research for the dissertation and was subsequently expanded as an extension of the We Digs Project (see website link below). The full access database can be made available to enquirers/researchers if requested - contact HER for details].
GIS spatial data amended in 2018 to location as shown on 2009 APs. <4>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wildgoose, M.. 1995. An Archaeological Survey of the Balmacara Estate: Phase 2 - 1995. Dualchas Museums' Service. 06/05/1999. Digital (scanned as PDF). Site 16.
- <2> Text/Manuscript: Welti, A.. 2012. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye. University of Aberdeen. Yes. Digital. JDG010.
- <3> Dataset/Database File: Welti, A.. 2009-2016. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye: project database. Lochbroom Field Club. Yes. Digital. JDG010.
- <4> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 7864 2903 (14m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.