MHG45400 - Hut circle - Meall Meadhonach
A hut circle at Meall Meadhonach.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
A hut circle at Meall Meadhonach. Recorded by the OS as hut circle 'A'.
NC61SW 13 6122 1135 and 6117 1139.
Hut-circle, 12m by 10m, heather-covered, with no clear entrance. <1>
At NC 6122 1135 and at NC 6117 1139, in the upper slopes of a W-facing hillside, are two hut circles (A and B respectively) and accompanying field clearance. (See NC61SW 5). Both huts are heather-covered.
'A' measures about 7m in diameter within a wall reduced to a rubble spread 2m broad and up to 0.3m high; the entrance is in the SSE.
'B' set back into the slope, measures 8m by 7m within a wall reduced to a rubble spread 1.5m to 2m broad and up to 0.4m high; the entrance is in the SSW on the line of the long axis.
Surveyed at 1:10,000. Visit by OS 30 October 1980.
The hut circle and surrounding features were scheduled by Historic Scotland in 1988.
New information about this site was gathered during a walkover survey by Ross and Cromarty Archaeology Services that took place between Nov 2010 and Jan 2011. A degraded, heather-covered subcircular hut circle, 9m by 10m internal diameter, comprises stone and turf. The structure, built on a knoll overlooking southwest-facing slopes, has a south entrance and the walls are 1.0m wide and 0.5m high. <2> <3>
GIS spatial data amended in 2019 according to extent as seen on 2009 vertical APs. <4>
- <1> SHG2510 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Mercer, R. J. & Howell, J.M.. 1980. Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland, 1976-1979. University of Edinburgh. 30/01/1980. Paper and Digital. 123, Dal 230.
- <2> SHG25613 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Peteranna, M. 02/2011. Archaeological survey of Dalchork Forest, Lairg, Sutherland: Archaeological Walkover Survey. Ross & Cromarty Archaeological Services. Digital. Site 62.
- <3> SHG25614 Collection/Project Archive: Peteranna, M.. 02/2011. Archaeological survey of Dalchork Forest, Lairg, Sutherland: Archaeological Walkover Survey. Ross & Cromarty Archaeological Services. Digital. Site 62.
- <4> SHG27382 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NC 6121 1135 (20m by 20m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM4560 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/5528 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.