MHG45452 - Tongue Mains Farm and Cottage
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- WORKERS COTTAGE (Undated)
Described as "offices" on 1st ed OS, handsom model farm range - HAW 4/2004
NC55NE 32 590 585.
NC55NE 32 5901 5852
Tongue Mains Steading
Built around 1863. A handsome one and two storey corbie stepped square with slated roof. A feature of the building is the handsome miniature dovecote, bearing the date of the building's construction. It is said that the building took five years to complete, the starting apprentices finishing as journeymen.
The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland (A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900) - Sinclair B Calder, 1974
J Aitken : 19/2/2004
This steading has a courtyard range containing a carriage house and stables as well as working horse stables, a byre, a threshing barn and worker's cottages. The steading has an imposing S facade. Detached buildings include a later hay shed, dog kennels, a sheep fold and a covered sheep dip.
Visited by RCAHMS (GJD), July 1994; see NMRS MS 744/106.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Wade Martins, S. 1997. ''A Century of Farms and Farming on the Sutherland Estate, 1790 - 1890'', Review of Scottish Culture, Vol 10, 1996-7, pp 33-54. 43, 48.
- --- Text/Manuscript: Calder, Sinclair B.. 1974. The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland: A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900. The University of Strathclyde.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 5901 5853 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB18462 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/5338 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.