MHG45873 - Site of former settlement of Ribhuachan, Lochcarron

Summary

A dry stone walled enclosure which was built from the stones of houses from the old settlement of Ribhuachan.

Type and Period (2)

  • SETTLEMENT (Occupied, Medieval to 18th Century - 1058 AD? to 1790 AD? (between))
  • ENCLOSURE (Constructed, 18th Century to 19th Century - 1750 AD? to 1875 AD (at some time))

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

"RUBOACHANE” appears in early charters of 1546 or 8. It would have contained about five families and was probably cleared between 1793 and 1806. The existing large dry stone walled livestock enclosure was built in part from the stone of the houses of the settlement in the second quarter of the 19th century by Finlay Murchison ( Fionnladh gobha -“Finlay the smith”). Information and photos of this settlement site were submitted by local researcher Paul Swan. The remnants of houses and storage structures are still visible. <1>-<4>


<1> Swan, P, 2008, Annotated maps of Lochcarron area (Image/Drawing). SHG23934.


<2> Ordnance Survey, 1871-76, Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Ross-shire (Image/Map). SHG23422.


<3> Swan, P, 2008-9, Correspondence from Paul Swan regarding several sites in the Lochcarron area (Text/Correspondence). SHG23871.


<4> Swan, P, 2009, Clearance settlement - Ribhuachan (Text/Manuscript). SHG24099.

Sources/Archives (4)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NG 92463 43021 (375m by 415m) (Mastermap)
Map sheet NG94SW
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish LOCHCARRON

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (0)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.