MHG45993 - Dykes and walls, Druim An Daraich, Rhu
Dykes and walls at Druim An Daraich, Rhu
Type and Period (2)
- FIELD BOUNDARY (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- HEAD DYKE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A large curvilinear turf-covered bank runs uphill on the southern slopes of Druim an Daraich. The remains of two drystone dykes running parallel to the banks lie at 30m and 60m to the southwest, possibly relating to the original head-dyke of the nearby farmstead. They run from the edge of the break in slope, northwards to the base of a cliff face, thus forming and enclosure on the natural shelf.
Information from CFA Report 1994 (No. 161) MS/726/176
Sponsor: Scottish Woodlands Ltd. <1>
A walkover survey was undertaken in 2015 by Rough Bounds Archaeology et al, covered the area to the north east of the bay at Saideil Druim an Daraich and then south-west above the tree line between 50 and 60 metres above sea level following the extant walling clearly marked on the map.
Site 12. Earth dyke running at 90 degrees from boundary wall down the east side of a burn within a small area of deer fencing, probably modern earth work to keep the burn clear with the fencing to exclude animals to help secure water supply.
Site 13. Degraded stone wall running at 90o on west side of burn running up to steep sided cliff.
Site 14. Walling possibly turf dyke - a continuance of wall also noted at Site 13. <2>
NGR adjusted based on 1999-2001 aerial photographs <3>
- <1> SHG21370 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Alexander, D.. 1994. Arisaig, Lochaber District, Highland Region: Archaeological Survey. Centre for Field Archaeology, University of Edinburgh. 30/01/1994. Paper and Digital. p.20 Site 2.9.
- <2> SHG27494 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Rough Bounds Archaeology. 2016. Walkover Survey - Rhu Peninsula. Rough Bounds Archaeology. Digital. p.124 Sites 12,13,14.
- <3> SHG27491 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map). XY
|Grid reference||Centred NM 6828 8443 (91m by 144m)|
|Civil Parish||ARISAIG AND MOIDART|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/232794 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.