MHG46028 - Eastern North Lodge, Dunrobin Castle (North Entrance)
Early to mid C19 gate lodge. One of a pair ('North Lodges') flanking the north entrance of Dunrobin Castle.
Type and Period (1)
- GATE LODGE (Built, 19th Century - 1801 AD to 1851 AD (between))
Eastern North Lodge, one of a pair of mirrored gate lodges (the 'North Lodges') that flank the north entrance to Dunrobin Castle. It comprises a 2-storey single bay tower with corniced and crenellated wallheads <1>. Very brief description in Beaton <2>. Gifford ascribes a date of 1851 to the lodges <3>.
- <1> Dataset: Historic Scotland. Information Supplementary to the Statutory List (This information has no legal significance). Digital.
- <2> Text/Publication/Volume: Beaton, E. 1995. Sutherland: An Illustrated Architectural Guide. Paper (Original). 55.
- <3> Text/Publication/Monograph: Gifford, J. 1992. Highland and Islands. The Buildings of Scotland. Paper (Original). 577.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 84942 01237 (5m by 6m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB7052 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/93562 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.