MHG4603 - Broomhill Bridge
An impressive 15-span wooden bridge, constructed 1894, which carried an unclassified road across the River Spey.
Type and Period (2)
- BEAM BRIDGE (Constructed, 19th Century - 1894 AD to 1894 AD)
- TRUSS BRIDGE (Constructed, 19th Century - 1894 AD to 1894 AD)
NH92SE 21 996 223
(Wooden bridge, Broomhill). Built 1894 by engineer John Mackenzie. A magnificent 15-span structure with trestle piers. The five spans over the main river channel have triangulated trusses with iron-strap reinforement. The finest wooden bridge surviving in Scotland. <1>
This bridge carries an unclassified public road across the River Spey, which here forms the boundary between the parishes of Duthil and Rothiemurchus and Abernethy and Kincardine.
Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 23 July 1997.
De-scheduled 16 August 2000. See Schedule refs and Assoc. Docs. <2>
BAS Local Plan, Sept. 1997: P19/2.5.13. Historic Buildings
POLICY - The Council will presume against development which would adversely affect the character or setting of all listed buildings. <3>
This timber bridge was built in 1894 by John MacKenzie of Kingussie at a place where other bridges had been swept away. The first bridge was probably the one built in 1857, initiated by the local minister in the hope that a bridge over the river would bring the scattered communities of the area together.
The most noticeable features of the bridge are the triangular tresses above the timber piers. The abutments are tooled granite. There is almost no metal in this bridge, which was partly reconstructed in 1987. Further details of the bridge's construction are given in <4>.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Hay and Stell, G D and G P. 1986. Monuments of industry. 184-5.
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Hume, J R. 1977. The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands. Paper (Original). 202.
- <2> Verbal Communication: Wood, J. Comments by John Wood, Senior HC Archaeologist.
- <3> Text/Publication: Highland Regional Council, Planning Department. 10/1997. Badenoch & Strathspey Local Plan. p19/2.5.13.
- <4> Text/Publication/Volume: Nelson, G. 1990. Highland Bridges. Paperback. pp 68-70, fig 45, 46.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 9969 2235 (84m by 96m)|
|Civil Parish||ABERNETHY AND KINCARDINE|
|Civil Parish||DUTHIL AND ROTHIEMURCHUS|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://kweimar.de/Bilder_XML.php?ket=05_11 (View more information on this bridge from a website about Highland Bridges)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB260 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15442 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.