MHG4633 - Lynchurn
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- INSCRIBED STONE (Early Medieval - 561 AD to 1057 AD)
- None recorded
NH92SE 1 953 206 Moved to 9384 1551.
(Area NH 953 206) A symbol stone was found c. 1870 in a field on the farm of Lynchurn near the Spey and not far from the Boat of Garten. It was prostrate when found and was being broken up when the sculpturing was noticed. The remains were 5'10" long and up to 18" wide. The symbol is the well-known combination of sceptre and crescent. It was at first erected near the spot where it was found, but was subsequently removed, the pattern chipped off and used as a gravestone in Kincardine churchyard close to the E bank of the Spey 2 1/2miles S of Boat of Garten.
A Mitchell and J Drummond 1875; J R Allen and J Anderson 1903
The find-spot of the symbol stone could not be ascertained. The stone now stands in Kincardine churchyard at NH 93841551, but bears no resemblance to its original form. It is trimmed square, set on a low plinth, and carries a shield commemorating H C Stuart, Vicar of Wragby, who died in 1884.
Present position of stone surveyed at 1/2500.
Visited by OS (N K B) 16 September 1966.
Class I symbol stone (lost) showed a crescent and V-rod.
A.Mack 1997 p.140
Mitchell, A and Drummond, J, 1874, Vacation notes in Cromar, Burghead, and Strathspey. Including notice of one of the supposed burial-places of St Columba, 688; fig. (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1803.
Allen and Anderson, J R and J, 1903, The early Christian monuments of Scotland: a classified illustrated descriptive list of the monuments with an analysis of their symbolism and ornamentation, pt. 3, 105; fig (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG1883.
Jackson, A, 1984, The symbol stones of Scotland: a social anthropological resolution to the problem of the Picts (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2357.
Ritchie, J N G, 1985, Pictish symbol stones: a handlist 1985, 11 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2712.
Mack, A, 1997, Field guide to the Pictish symbol stones, 140 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2456.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Mitchell, A and Drummond, J. 1874. Vacation notes in Cromar, Burghead, and Strathspey. Including notice of one of the supposed burial-places of St Columba. Proc Soc Antiq Scot Volume 10. 603-89. 688; fig..
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Allen and Anderson, J R and J. 1903. The early Christian monuments of Scotland: a classified illustrated descriptive list of the monuments with an analysis of their symbolism and ornamentation. pt. 3, 105; fig.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Jackson, A. 1984. The symbol stones of Scotland: a social anthropological resolution to the problem of the Picts.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Mack, A. 1997. Field guide to the Pictish symbol stones. 140.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Ritchie, J N G. 1985. Pictish symbol stones: a handlist 1985. 11.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 9529 2059 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||DUTHIL AND ROTHIEMURCHUS|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15429 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.